In reference to the situation at the Polkowice-Sieroszowice mine of KGHM Polska Miedź SA., there has appeared in the media unclear or incorrect information.
Please be informed that:
• In mining section GG-6 of the Polkowice-Sieroszowice mine there is a raised level of water flowing into the mine from the orebody.
• The higher level of water has resulted in only one (1) of the 13 mine sections being shut down (G-63). For security reasons work in the G-61 mine section has also been halted.
• The situation does not represent a health hazard for the mine’s employees.
• The other sections in the Polkowice – Sieroszowice mine are operating normally; production by KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. remains at the planned level.
• No machinery has been affected by the water.
• In the affected regions efforts are underway to stabilize and reduce the level of water. This work does not require the involvement of staff from the company’s mine rescue services.
Should there be further questions please contact the press spokesperson.