The Morrison mine is located on the western border of the richly-mineralised North Range of the Sudbury igneous complex. Extraction is through two production shafts: Levack and Craig.
The Levack mine, which mainly produced nickel, commenced its operations in 1915. The mine was closed in 1997. KGHM INTERNATIONAL LTD. acquired it in March 2002 and renewed production five years later. In addition, exploration was carried out on the acquired property that resulted in the discovery of the Morrison deposit, rich in polymetallic ore with high-grade copper, nickel and precious metals and the subsequent commencement of production.
Mining in its current form will be conducted until 2020.
Mineralisation in the deposit occurs in the form of ore veins. Mining is carried out using mining techniques adapted to the deposit’s geometry – this is mainly a mechanised method of selective extraction through the undercutting of successive levels from bottom to top, and by sublevel spacing every 18 metres.
In order to decrease depletion and increase the amount of ore in areas with thin veins conventional back stoping of ore is employed.
Payable production in 2016 14,4 thousand tonnes.
All of the ore extracted in the mine is processed by Vale’s Clarabelle plant in Sudbury.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR ONTARIANS WITH DISABILITIES - MULTI-YEAR ACCESSIBILITY PLAN