Fatal victims of the quake in the Rudna Mine – conclusion of the rescue operation
The search for the last three miners affected by the earth tremor that occurred in the Rudna Mine on Tuesday at 9:09 p.m. has ended. All three men are dead.
As a result of the spontaneous earth tremor with an energy release of 1x108J, eight persons died and nine were hospitalized. Five more are still in hospital.
More than 120 rescuers from the Emergency Rescue Unit participated in the almost 24-hour-long rescue mission. – We did everything within our power to reach them as soon as possible, but unfortunately, today we are sharing the tears of helplessness with the families – said Piotr Walczak, Vice President for Production, to the families during a press conference.
Following is the roll call of employees of the Rudna Mine who lost their lives:
– a 33-year-old resident of Głogów, a mobile mining machinery operator, employed since 2008, leaves two children orphaned,
– a 47-year-old resident of Bolesławiec, an underground machinery and mining equipment mechanic, employed since 1988, leaves three children orphaned,
– a 23-year-old resident of Głogów, an underground machinery and mining equipment mechanic, employed since 2016,
– a 24-year-old resident of Głogów, an underground machinery and mining equipment mechanic, employed since 2015,
– a 50-year-old resident of Bolesławiec, an underground welder, employed since 2004, leaves one child orphaned,
– a 42-year-old resident of Głogów, an underground miner, employed since 2002, leaves one child orphaned,
– a 43-year-old resident of Polkowice, a blast miner, employed since 1991, leaves one child orphaned,
– a 50-year-old resident of Głogów, an underground shift foreman, employed since 1993, leaves four children orphaned.
The President of KGHM Polska Miedź S.A., Radosław Domagalski-Łabędzki, has proclaimed four days of mourning. Certain festivities associated with the St. Barbara's Day holiday have been cancelled – beer halls, ladies' nights, orchestral wake-up concerts, and the Fox-Major's March. Only the main St. Barbara's Day ceremony will take place on Friday.
Employees of KGHM Polska Miedź, the Management of the Rudna Mine, and the Management of KGHM Polska Miedź express their deepest sympathies to the families of the victims.